Saturday, October 11, 2008

Paying it Forward


Welcome! The Freecycle Network™ is made up of 4,616 groups with 5,918,000 members across the globe. It's a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns. It's all about reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills. Each local group is moderated by a local volunteer (them's good people). Membership is free.
A very intelligent woman I work with told me about a Website that encourages offering, for free your gently used items. I had no idea how many people absolutely cannot be bothered to seek any alternatives to their "junk" than to take it to a local landfill. You know the old saying, "one man's junk is another man's gold"? Very true, but not only that, your junk could be something that someone else cannot even afford! And, is it really junk?


I've been losing weight and thankfully my fatter girl clothes have been piling up in a large trash bag. Yesterday I decided to post my FREE bag of clothes on the Wake County freecycle.org. SO many responses, but as I stated, the first person to respond to the posting via e-mail would get them. The people who visit this web-site are people in need of your gently used stuff. I've given things to Goodwill, sold things on CraigList, but this made me feel really good.


There are postings for moving boxes, aluminum cooking trays, baby clothes, diapers, furniture, used lumber, etc. Just too many things to mention. There are two major categories...OFFER and WANTED. This isn't where you SELL things, it's where you offer, for free, something that you no longer need or want...something you may consider junk.


You have to join this website and then join a Yahoo group for your area...but if I can do it, anyone can do it. We all have stuff and this organization really can help to keep us from making "dump-runs".
Paying it forward. It makes sense and it makes you feel good.




No comments: